HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation has launched the all-new Mazda CX-3 compact crossover SUV in Japan. The model goes on sale today at all Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Autozam dealerships nationwide with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price ranging from 2,376,000 yen to 3,024,000 yen (tax included). The company expects to sell 3,000 units per month in Japan.
The all-new CX-3 is the fifth model in Mazda’s line-up of new-generation vehicles featuring the full range of SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY*1 and KODO-Soul of Motion design. It combines a high-quality, stylish design; dimensions and clever packaging that make it easy to use in any situation; and performance that makes driving genuinely fun.
In Japan, the all-new CX-3 is equipped exclusively with the SKYACTIV-D 1.5-liter clean diesel engine. This combines outstanding fuel economy (25 km/L under Japan’s JC08 test mode*2) with exciting driving performance thanks to impressive torque up to 270 N-m, surpassing that of a 2.5-liter gasoline engine. All model grades are available with either SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic or SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission, and Mazda’s new-generation all-wheel drive system, i-ACTIV AWD. All model grades are exempt from vehicle weight tax and acquisition tax, regardless of drive-type or transmission. In addition, under the government’s clean energy vehicle promotion subsidy program, the model is eligible for a maximum subsidy of 160,000 yen (XD Touring L package 2WD, 2,808,000 yen including tax).*3
For the SKYACTIV-D 1.5, Mazda has developed the Natural Sound Smoother*4 which reduces combustion noise known as “diesel knock sound”. The all-new CX-3 is the first vehicle in the world to adopt this technology which both refines the engine sound and makes the vehicle quieter when running.
Responding to the diversifying needs of customers with both driving pleasure and outstanding safety and environmental performance, the all-new CX-3 incorporates the Mazda Connect*5 car connectivity system and i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies.*6
“Our aim for the development of the CX-3 was to create the standard for a new era,” said Michio Tomiyama, program manager for the all-new CX-3. “Rather than focusing on spec sheet values, we went back to the drawing board and asked ourselves what are the essential values people seek in a car, and created this new model with a combination of Mazda’s latest technology and design. The CX-3 works in any scene, from inner-city driving to enjoying the great outdoors, and it will enable customers to express their unique individuality, unencumbered by other people’s sense of values. I am certain that this car will exceed customers’ expectations and add stimulation to their active lifestyle for many years to come.”
Features of all-new Mazda CX-3
Pursuing beauty and a radical design with the latest iteration of KODO
Out-of-the-ordinary vehicle engineering, unfettered by preconceived notions, results in a most stylish expression of Mazda’s KODO design language.
- Solid-looking body sides that contrast with the flowing expression of the cabin and short overhangs create proportions that give the car an undeniable presence.
- Line-up of eight exterior body colors includes the newly-developed Ceramic Metallic which changes appearance depending on the light, expressing a finely honed metallic feel and a strong sense of hardness. Soul Red Premium Metallic, the representative color of the KODO-Soul of Motion design theme, is also available.
- A driver-oriented cockpit and door trim that provides a comforting sense of snugness realize an edgy and high-quality interior space. Meticulous attention was paid to every detail.
- A new dark red with a hint of blue was developed as an accent color. This is applied to features such as the door armrests, knee pads, stitching, seat piping and bezel surrounding the air conditioning louvers, helping to express the different character of each model grade.*7
Packaging designed for driving enjoyment and true ease of use
While the latest iteration of KODO design realizes stylish proportions, the packaging focuses on the essentials, aiming to create the standard for a new era, free from established notions.
- The seating position was optimized in consideration of a variety of factors, including a good view of the road, a feeling of security and ease of entry and exit, resulting in a “sweet spot” that offers customers the maximum overall value. Despite a relatively tall vehicle height, people of all body types can get into and out of the all-new CX-3 easily and without stressing the body.
- Occupants in the rear seats sit higher and closer to the center than those in the front, allowing them to enjoy a clear and open view of the road ahead. This layout also makes it easy for passengers sitting diagonally opposite each other to hold a conversation.
Ideal driving position
- A great deal of effort went into achieving an ideal driving position with an ideal pedal layout, an adjustable steering wheel that allows the driver to adjust the position for easy operation and a well-fitted seat incorporating vibration-absorbing urethane. In addition, the relatively tall seating position allows good visibility of the road and surroundings.
Vehicle body size
- An overall length of 4,275 mm and a 2,570 mm wheelbase realize unconstrained proportions and sufficient interior comfort. The all-new CX-3 also features a powerful stance and feeling of stability thanks to its 1,765 mm width and the positioning of the wheels at the extreme corners of the vehicle, resulting in front and rear tracks of 1,525 mm and 1,520 mm respectively.
- The vehicle height was set at 1,550 mm, making it possible to park in Japan’s automatic multi-story car parks. With consideration given to the urban environment in Japan, this makes the all-new CX-3 more convenient for daily use in the city and expands the scope of situations in which the model can be used.
- With a passenger in every seat, the luggage compartment measures 1,000 mm wide and 780 mm long with a capacity of 350 liters (DIN, including sub-trunk). In addition, it includes a two-position cargo board that can be adjusted in height to match the load being carried.*8
Mazda’s new-generation HMI places top priority on driving safety
The Human Machine Interface (HMI) of the all-new CX-3 is designed based on the Heads-up Cockpit concept, which prioritizes safety above all else, aiming to help drivers concentrate on driving safely, even while dealing with larger amounts of information.
Mazda Connect car connectivity system
- The all-new CX-3 features Mazda Connect, Mazda’s new-generation car connectivity system. This system enables drivers to safely control music sources, including internet radio as well as vehicle information such as the GPS navigation system, i-DM*9 and fuel monitor, while driving.
Outstanding dynamic performance provides Jinba-Ittai driving
Engineering and tuning thoroughly aligned with human senses realize Jinba-Ittai dynamic performance.
- The all-new CX-3 features the SKYACTIV-D 1.5 made popular with the all-new Mazda2 (Mazda Demio in Japan). Development focused on enhancing the quietness of the engine by refining combustion characteristics in a way that mitigates engine noise and by optimizing the position of sound insulation through CAE analysis. The quietness of the engine is evident from the moment the car takes off.
- The world’s first application of a “Natural Sound Smoother” suppresses “diesel knock sound”, particularly noticeable when starting from a standstill or when accelerating slowly, and enhances the quality of the engine sound.
World-class safety performance
With the aim of providing drivers with both pleasure and peace of mind, the all-new CX-3 features safety technologies developed in line with the Mazda Proactive Safety*10 philosophy of minimizing the risk of accidents by supporting the driver in accurately recognizing circumstances, making judgments and maneuvering the vehicle.
- In terms of active safety features, which aim to support the driver’s awareness of risks and reduce damage and injury, the all-new CX-3 adopts a wide range of Mazda’s i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies.*11 The driver’s recognition, judgment and operation of the vehicle are appropriately supported by safety equipment that utilizes a variety of sensing devices, in addition to the vehicle’s basic attributes, such as excellent visibility and dynamic performance that linearly responds to driver’s input.
- Passive safety is based around the lightweight, high-rigidity SKYACTIV-BODY, with focus placed on pedestrian protection and occupant protection features such as seatbelts and airbag systems, in order to achieve outstanding passive safety.